Tara Gibson, PT, DPT, CFMT, Certified Pilates Instructor
Director of Pilates & Certified Functional Manual Physical Therapist
203-983-5748 (Old Greenwich)
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Women’s and Men’s Pelvic Floor Health
- Pre/Post-Partum Care
- Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Faciliation
- Performance and Therapeutic Pilates
Tara Gibson has been with Elite since 2012 and is currently one of less than 300 physical therapists internationally to possess the respected Certified Functional Manual Therapy credential (CFMT). Tara is specialist in Men’s and Women’s Health issues. She addresses pelvic floor conditions including incontinence, vaginal or penile / scrotal pain, pain with intercourse, symptoms associated with interstitial cystitis (IC), coccyx pain, and any musculoskeletal issues surrounding this including low back, SI joint, and hip pain. She also specializes in treating pregnant and post-partum women to address issues including recovery from labor and delivery, diastasis recti, preparing for VBAC, soft tissue mobilization of C-section or perineal scar, carpal tunnel syndrome, and design of an appropriate exercise program.
In addition to her role as a PT, Tara is also Managing Partner and Director of Elite Pilates at the same location. Combining her rehabilitative knowledge and Pilates background, she develops therapeutic and performance based applications of the Pilates exercise system to address the needs of clients ranging from complex pain patients to high-level athletes. She mentors the exceptional instructors of Elite Pilates to ensure optimal safety and individualized programs for all clients. In addition to one-on-one training, Elite Pilates offers specialized pelvic floor, pregnancy, and post-partum small group mat classes.
Tara holds a BFA from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, TX and earned her Doctorate of Physical Therapy from Hunter College in New York City. She is a Certified Pilates Instructor through Romana’s Pilates (now True Pilates) in NYC.
In October 2017, Tara gave birth to her first baby and spends her spare time enjoying the profound gift of motherhood while sneaking in a few more minutes of sleep whenever possible!
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT); Hunter College; NY, NY
- Bachelors in Fine Arts (BFA); Southern Methodist University; Dallas, TX
- Certified Functional Manual Therapist (CFMT); Institute of Physical Art; Steamboat Springs, CO
- Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF) 9-month Intensive Training Program; Kaiser Rehabilitation Center; Vallejo, CA
- Certified Pilates Instructor, Romana’s Pilates, NY, NY
- American Physical Therapy Association
- Women’s Health Section
- Orthopedic Section